Books by the Bushel is conducted annually to provide books for the libraries in over 40 public and private schools in Champaign, Urbana, and Mahomet. Each school librarian submits a wish list of books that would be valuable additions to their library. During the three-day event, members of the community can purchase books from Barnes & Noble in Champaign and donate the books to their school of choice. A bookplate is placed in the book denoting the donor or an honoree. JLCU members then deliver the books to each school.
Books by the Bushel
April 12-14, 2013
Friday, April 12, 2013: 3-8pm
Saturday, April 13, 2013: 9am-8pm
Sunday, April 14, 2013: 10am-4pm
Barnes & Noble Bookstore
65 East Market View Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820
Last year, over 680 books were donated from wish lists to school libraries. In addition, Books by the Bushel (BBTB) raised over $10,000 through purchases made at Barnes & Noble during the weekend event.
Here’s how it works:
- Vouchers will be heavily distributed to schools, staff, students, and parents, as well as any community businesses wanting to support their local schools.
- Individuals make their purchases in the store from April 12-14, 2013, and present the Books by the Bushel bookfair voucher or state that they are supporting BBTB. Supporters can purchase books for the libraries, books or movies for themselves, or simply have lunch in the café – as long as a bookfair voucher is presented or customers state they are supporting BBTB at the time of purchase, money will be collected for the schools!
- The total amount spent by supporters over the three-day event will be tracked in order to determine the amount the schools receive. For example, if our supporters spend $12,000, Barnes & Noble will donate 25 percent of that amount, in this case, $3,000, back to our schools. In the end, the schools will receive the books that are purchased and donated by supporters as well as additional books purchased with the money allocated back to each school.
Can’t make it to Books by the Bushel? There are additional ways to help!
- BBTB credit nationwide! If family and friends take the BBTB bookfair voucher to ANY Barnes & Noble Bookstore nationwide from April 12-14, 2013, they can make purchases that will go toward our grand total! They MUST have a voucher in hand that has our bookfair ID 11026697 and present it at the time of purchase.
- Online purchases! Supporters can also make purchases online at www.bn.com from April 12-19, 2013, that will count toward the total amount earned for BBTB. For instructions on entering the bookfair ID at checkout, please click here.